Re: configure/make/make install with moving srcdir, builddir...

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 12:36:38PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > I think that's fine.  And if we can really simplify our makefiles that's
> > worth more than being able to change the $srcdir around.  We can always
> > add that later if someone really, really needs it.
>
> What about the case where you do a build on one machine, and do "make
> install" on many others with different mount points?  Doesn't that
> need to know where srcdir is, yet srcdir is a different location for
> them?

Um, sort of.

The point here is that the *specification* of srcdir mustn't change.
The specification can be *relative* to the build directory.

So you can have lots of different mount points, but as long as you
always put srcdir at (build_dir)/../../gcc_src or something like that,
you're OK.

That's the setup I've designed.  Is it OK?

--Nathanael