Re: Top Level Autoconfiscation Status

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 02:54:21PM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
> In message <20020701161217.GA5117@doctormoo.dyndns.org>, Nathanael Nerode write
> s:
>  >On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 10:03:07AM -0600, Jeff Law wrote:
>  >> In message <20020630221237.A2110@hollebeek.com>, Tim Hollebeek writes:
>  >>  >> * To avoid a lot of subtle problems, configure uses absolute pathnames
>  >>  >> for most directories which it puts into the Makefile.  This means you
>  >>  >> can no longer 'configure', relocate srcdir or builddir, and then 'make'
>  >.
>  >>  >> I doubt that this is important.
>  >> I do this regularly -- especially on machines where configure is slow
>  >> (hpux, aix, solaris).
>  >I can figure out how to fix this. :-)
> "this" meaning slow configure or make relocation of the buildir work?
Hopefully both!  Speed of configure is partly related directly to speed
of 'sh', which I can't do anything about, and partly to efficiency of
autoconf macro design, which I also can't do anything about, but I aim
to make the rest as fast as possible.

> Typically I tar up a build tree, then un-tar it somewhere else, make a
> tweak or two and run some tests.
>

>  [ install on different machine with different paths to directories ]
>  >I can figure out how to fix this too.  The trick is doing it without
>  >slowing 'make' down by approximately two orders of magnitude.  :-P
> FWIW, this one is actually more important to the end users -- it's come
> up several times with Red Hat's customers.  ie, they have a centralized
> build machine.  Once the tools are built, they log into each developer
> machine and run "make install".  The paths to the sources & build
> directories are (of course) different on the developer machines vs the
> centralized build machine.
Right.  If I can fix this I can fix the relocating-builddir problem
reasonably easily.  It's acutally easy to fix, if I don't mind slowing
down 'make' But one of the major benefits of my autoconfiscation is
faster make, so I have to be cleverer.