Re: GCC Steering Committee decision on ISO C conversion

ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu said:
> And I'll let you in on a little secret.  I believe the HP's
> traditional compiler *understands* string concatenation!

> Why do I say this?  Because libiberty/regex.c uses it an no one has
> complained.  Maybe someone can confirm this...

Actually, regex.c has:

#  if defined (__STDC__) || defined (ALMOST_STDC) || defined
(HAVE_STRINGIZE)
#   define PREFIX(name) wcs_##name
#   define ARG_PREFIX(name) c##name
#  else
#   define PREFIX(name) wcs_/**/name
#   define ARG_PREFIX(name) c/**/name
#  endif

So traditional compilers can use the traditional pasting method.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the old HPUX C compiler doesn't support
string pasting, just that you can't use this code as an assertion that it
does.

R.