Re: GCC Steering Committee decision on ISO C conversion

 > From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
 >
 > On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 10:14:22AM -0400, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
 > >  > From: Aldy Hernandez <aldyh@redhat.com>
 > >  >
 > >  > >>>>> "Joseph" == Joseph S Myers <jsm28@cam.ac.uk> writes:
 > >  >
 > >  >  > Does this require traditional C for target files in gcc/config/
 > >  >  > for targets that are only used for cross-compilation, or which
 > >  >  > don't have any non-ISO bootstrap compiler?
 > >
 > > We're not converting config/* yet.
 >
 > Why?  I would really like to use string concatenation in freebsd.h files.
 > Why hold my OS back for HP braindeadness?

David,

My sentence above was a statement of official policy.  I.e. we're not
going to convert any config directory wholesale.  That's the
parameters of the proposal the SC voted through.  I don't have the
authority to change it unilaterally myself.

Operationally, if you do use string concatenation in the freebsd
files, you'll probably get -Wtraditional warnings about it.  I'm not
interested in turning -Wtraditional off (even just for freebsd)
because then other ISO C stuff will creep in to the general parts of
the compiler through bit-rot.

OTOH, my personal opinion is let's be practical.  If you submit a
patch to a freebsd specific file with a string concatenation in it, no
one will probably care (as long as you're happy living with the extra
warning.)  E.g. the solaris2 port uses string concatenation in the
specs stuff and no one minds.  I just live with the extra warning when
I bootstrap there.

And I'll let you in on a little secret.  I believe the HP's
traditional compiler *understands* string concatenation!

Why do I say this?  Because libiberty/regex.c uses it an no one has
complained.  Maybe someone can confirm this...

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			Director of Systems Architecture
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu		Qwest Solutions