Re: Tutorial 3

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Mark Butcher wrote:

> I think that Bill Gatliff's site should be compulsory reading for anyone
> contemplating a GCC cross-build. [www.billgatliff.com]. Although there is
> only a relatively small amount of information, it is the information that
> is needed and the example script is even more or less understandable to a
> dummy like myself.
>
> Build BINUTILS
> Build a minimum gcc without headers and libraries
> Build NEWLIB with the minimum gcc
> Build the full GCC

Or build them all at once, with a unified tree.  Try
<URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/simtest-howto.html>: add "make install",
but strip dejagnu and gdb parts to taste.  Alternatively, using
tarballs with gcc, binutils and newlib instead of CVS, with
releases reasonably in phase, just untar them into the same
directory, then configure --target=..., make and make install.

The simulator targets (most of them) are actually bare-bones
*-elf cross-toolchains; the simulator is an add-on from the gdb
package.  Neccessary I/O libraries are built as part of the
newlib/libgloss package.

It's not rocket science.

brgds, H-P
PS.  Houston..?  Houston..?  ...darn, not again.