Re: Tutorial 3

Hi Peter

I think that Bill Gatliff's site should be compulsory reading for anyone
contemplating a GCC cross-build. [www.billgatliff.com]. Although there is
only a relatively small amount of information, it is the information that
is needed and the example script is even more or less understandable to a
dummy like myself.

Build BINUTILS
Build a minimum gcc without headers and libraries
Build NEWLIB with the minimum gcc
Build the full GCC

Logical once it is explained in plain text and not camouflaged with jargon
(why has it taken me a month to discover the 4 steps ?)

The full GCC build didn't work - failing for the same reason as before -
but I am sure that it is now something silly which I can, given adequate
time, solve myself. I see that I now really do have "mcore-elf-gcc.exe" in
the mcore/bin directory (I think that this must be the minimum gcc
compiler) "crt0.o" libraries like "libc.a" are also in /mcore-elf
directories. Since some things seem to be in /mcore and some others in
/mcore-elf I probably did something not quite right when setting prefixes,
resulting in the files not being found correctly - once I have gained a
little more strength I will probably be able to swat the last self-made bug
and will take time off to celebrate.

Hope to give the mailing list a rest very soon (I think I said this several
weeks ago, but perhaps it will really happen this time).

Cheers

Mark