Re: CVS Documentation

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Kevin Handy wrote:

> Ok, downloaded the lastest CVS gcc, and tried to build the documentation
> on a Redhat 7.1 Linux system, and received the following errors.
> Do I need newer versions of something (and why didn't configure
> check for the correct version), or is something broken?

Configure does check for the correct makeinfo version (>= 4.1 needed);
info documentation is built by make bootstrap iff a suitable makeinfo
version is present, but running make info directly bypasses that check.

It's considered likely that there are many ways in which people's TeX
installations could be broken if they're not being actively used, so such
checks aren't made for TeX and make dvi is never part of make bootstrap.
For texi2dvi -o version 4.1 is also needed.  Note that mainline docs are
also on the web site.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk