Re: Convert 3.2 sources to ISO C90

law@redhat.com wrote:
>  In message <20020605.192105.111716507.davem@redhat.com>, "David S. Miller"
> writes:
>  >
>  > So what is sunfreeware.com doing right for Solaris folks that
>  > the people hosting the HP stuff aren't getting right?
> A large part of it is fixincludes.  On Solaris we're able to avoid lots of
> fixed includes via various schemes -- mostly because the Solaris header
> files are pretty close to what GCC needs.  HPUX is a radically different

But this problem has been solved by everybody that's put together a
binary distribution that needs to run on more than one patchlevel of an
OS.  The distribution package provides the basic binaries and libraries
in the package and runs fixincludes as part of the installation process.[1]

This also lets you conveniently skirt the legal issues of distributing
"fixed" versions of vendor headers...

RJL

[1] What hoses users is then when they install an OS upgrade without
    re-running fixincludes, but that's not the problem at hand.