A question of assemblers

Hi All

I am desperately trying to learn about the compiler - being not versed in
the Unix world it is proving to be a long struggle.

I am wondering whether someone would give me a tip about the way assembling
of libraries for targets is performed ? I am trying to build an Mcore cross
compiler but the build always aborts when the assembler components should
be assembled with messages saying that the code contains illegal
instructions. (eg. Mcore has lib1.asm in gcc/mcore - the assembler
instructions are valid Mcore code)

I assume that I have a set up error don't know where to look and I'm
getting no help in the help forum so must try to understand the workings
better.

My question is this:
   if I am building a cross compiler, and this requires building libraries
with assembler source code, then the build process must use an assembler
for the target (eg. Mcore). I assume that this specific assembler is build
also during the build so that it is available for the task. Where does this
take place and what is the assembler called ? How is it possible that the
assembler does not work or is configured for the wrong target ?

Many thanks for any clues.

Regards

Mark Butcher