Re: gcc compile-time (multibyte issue)

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> writes:

Robert> What encodings does Java implement. I am not sure what using
Robert> the locale means in all cases.

gcj uses the encodings provided by the host's iconv().
It also implements its own UTF-8 reader as a fallback.

In practice this means that on Linux we support every encoding, and on
other platforms we support only UTF-8.  (There may be some exceptions,
but that is the general rule.)

"Using the locale" means that, on systems that support it, we use
nl_langinfo(CODESET) to determine the default encoding.  The
--encoding command-line option can be used to override this.
We do this because this is what JDK users expect.

Tom