Re: gcc 3.1 is still very slow, compared to 2.95.3

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 01:12:23PM +0100, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> Memory use efficiency:  I suspect we have many partially used pages, since
> each page of memory is only used for objects of a single size we end up
> with many pages with just a few items in them;

This is true.  See http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-04/msg00372.html

I don't think this is particularly significant in the common case,
merely in the obscenely large function case.

> I rarely see compilation of a C file requiring less than 8M now, it
> used to be around 3-4M for a typical file in GCC.

This is due to the tuning of constants in the collector.  We don't
collect until we get to between 7-8M.

r~