Re: gcc compile-time performance

Robert Dewar wrote:

> In practice, machines do get faster faster than programs get bigger, so I
> suspect that the complaints about speed disappear over time. [...]

If I dug a bit, I think I could find mail messages about GCC saying
the same thing - 10 years ago.

In fact, since GCC bootstrapped in about the same amount of time
10 years ago as it does today, on much slower machines, that tells
me it's not GCC's architecture that's the problem; the architecture
has not fundamentally changed.

It would be an interesting exercise to dig up a 2.3.3 or some such
and try to get it to a minimal bootstrap on modern hardware.  If you
used one of the OSes whose API hasn't changed a lot, it might not be
that hard...

Stan