Re: Deciphering flags in CXX_FOR_TARGET

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:24:11PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On May  7, 2002, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@doctormoo.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps an 'install-for-build' in each subdirectory which would
> > copy/move/link/symlink its output files to a tree mirroring the install
> > tree would do the trick?
>
> Nope.  We can't install into the build tree, we really have to build
> the tools into the tree-for-install, and install them from there.
>
> This is critical for correct functioning of libtool-build libraries
> and executables.  They're created with a notion of where they're
> expected to be installed, and installing them elsewhere doesn't always
> produce correct results.  But libtool can tell `build' from `install'
> files, so if we build them in a location in the build tree in which
> they will work, and then install them from there, things will work
> fine.
>
> > Perhaps we could just convince each subdirectory to put its files in
> > a reasonable place without calling 'install', but that sounds harder.
>
> Unfortunately this is what we have to do for correct functioning, at
> least for pieces that use libtool.
>
> There's a longer message about this in a thread started by Per
> Bothner, IIRC, in late February this year.  You may want to have a
> look into that.  I've never wanted to ask you to do that cause it
> might scare you away, but since you got this far, and you appear to be
> interested in tackling this problem, I think it will do more good to
> get you involved now :-)

I think I'll hit this problem *after* I get the autoconfiscation
working.  I've got a workaround for the bizarre CXX_FOR_TARGET flags
issue which I think I can make work.  (It means I'm moving code from the
configure file to the Makefile, the opposite of what I usually try to
do...)

Thanks for the info.