Re: Platform...? Java Bytecode!!!!

Luxspes wrote:

>  why not? think about it.... right now you can only develop for the JVM
> using the java language, and java has a large code base, but c, c++
> objective-c, fortran and ada are older... a lot older... if someone (why
> not us) builds a gcc to jvm compiler, every JVM (and any platform where
> they run) would instantly gain a tremendous codebase) and I would bring
> "back to life" to languages in risk of dying (or practically already
> death for most of the developers like ada or objective-c) i love
> objective-c but right now,

This has all been discussed and considered many times.  The JVM is
not a good match for C or C++, because C has a low-level type-unsafe
memory model.  You can of course simulate the C/C++ memory model,
but there are a number of trade-offs.  I.e. do you want compatibility
with existing ABIs?  Do you want to generate pure Java, or are you
willing to use some native helper methods?  How do you want to handle
C++ objecs?  (Using Java objects will be difficult.)

There is no point in trying to convince any of us:  If you want to
do it, then do it.  Unfortunately, the people who would be most
qualified to help you are too busy with more useful projects.
(Not to say that this might not be useful - it's just that we're
all busy with other projects.)  However, I'm sure it can be a very
educational project if you attempt it.
--
   --Per Bothner