testsuite and alpha OSF/1 4.0 ...

Hi,
Given how many problems I have with the testsuite - I assume I must have
some user error here, unless it is really a bug - if its a bug then I will
go gnats it... but thought I might check here first.
The situation: non-priviledged user, 90% of non binutils type
libraries/commands/etc are in $HOME directory structure. LD_LIBRARY_PATH's
INCLUDE_PATH's etc all defined to include $HOME stuff before anything else.
gcc 3.2 CVS (as of yesterday) - configured with --prefix=$HOME
make bootstrap - fine (well i see a few 'too many args' in libjava - but it
doesnt die).  make install - fine now that tromey's patch is in.
make check - fails to compile the demangle test for libiberty due to
unresolved symbols.
(if I manually change the compile line I can get it to work - and libiberty
passes test)
libstdc++ tests - first two succeed - but all following ones fail to execute
g++ (/sbin/loader: unable to map libintl.so)
gcc tests - seems fine (a couple of dozen testsuite failures - but not many
- considering how many succeed)
g++ tests - similar to libstdc++
libffi - tests fine.
libjava - compile tests okay - execute tests all fail with sbin/loader:
lazy_text_resolve: malloc should not have a relocation entry. (this last one
sounds like it might be a real bug - maybe)

So I guess my main problem is with libstdc++ and g++ tests - to which I
havent managed to work out what I am doing wrong - at a best guess -
ld_library_path is changing between the first and second tests. - probably
to blank - libintl.so is in my home/lib, and copying it to anyone of a few
locations (eg the location of libstdc++ - the location of g++ - a few others
i cant think of right now) - doesnt help.