Re: suspect assembly code for gcc 2.95.3 for ppc

On Monday 15 April 2002 16:46, Bob Boz wrote:
> Franz,
>
> > I can't reproduce your assembly on powerpc-linux-gnu with
> > gcc-2.95.4, can you
> > be more specific what your exact target triple is, which CPU your are
> > compiling for and the output of gcc -v?
>
> I get "powerpc-eabi-gcc" when I try gcc -v however the system is based on
> qnx.

Well, in that case powerpc-eabi-gcc -v :-).

> > If I have to guess, I would say you have old or corrupted
> > stdarg.h/va-ppc.h
> > include files in your include path.
> >
> > Franz.
>
> Your guess was right on. I was using an include file that was suplanting
> stuff in va-ppc.h (some typedefs and macros). After removing those I now
> get assembler code that looks a lot better. This is assuming(and hoping)
> the va-ppc.h could be used without any custom modifications for the
> specific system we are using. I'll find that out soon though...

Well, va-ppc.h and the accompanying code in the compiler have been heavily
bug-fixed between egcs-1.x and gcc-2.95.1. You may have binaries that rely on
the bugs... But my experience with the powerpc-linux-gnu transition shows
these cases are very rare and were by far outweighed by "mysterious unstable
behaviour" bugs going away due to the fixed varargs code :-).

Franz.