Re: inline asm string/line break rules change

Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Andi Kleen wrote:
> > I'll shut up on this issue now and perhaps think about a better
> > gcc assembly syntax. gcc inline assembly is far too much of a black art
> > currently and I think this doesn't really need to be the case.
>
> I think a better syntax would remove the need to provide asm delimiters
> (i.e. newlines or ";") altogether.
>
> How about this syntax, which is very C-like, backward compatible and
> also friendly for asm programmers:
>
>         __asm__ ("movw %%ds,%0",
>                  "movw %0,%%es"
>                  : "=r" (tmp_segment));
>
> Note the comma separation between instructions.

It doesn't matter what it changes to, the problem is that it changed at
all.  gcc 3.0.x was really not stable enough for most embedded
development.
Consequently, not many people saw the warning.  It isn't in mainstream
UNIX based code one finds the bulk of inline assembly -- it is in
embedded
programs, device drivers, and operating systems.

> cheers,
> -- Jamie

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985