Re: Does gcc 3.0 support P4 instruction code?

> Hello gcc,
>
> Dear Sir: I'm writing to inquire whether gcc 3.0 supports P4
> instruction code. I'm looking for the proper version of gcc to support
> Intel P4 instruction code.
>
> My work need P4 processor workforce. I want
> to release P4 processor's strong processing power. I need your help.

Gcc 3.0 predates pentium 4 release I believe.  Gcc 3.1 includes tunning, for
pentium4, suport for P4 branch prediction hints and limited support for SSE
floating point (available via -mfpmath=sse).

Since gcc 3.1 is almost to be released, you may want to get the snapshot and
see whether it works well for you.  Hope it will. The SSE support has been
reported to help considerably on floating point intensive applications (the
speedups I've measured or hreat about varies from -3% to 200%, but 10-20% can
be realistic).  In integer only programs, the benefits are lower.

Honza