Backend using Tree representation

Hi,
I want to use gcc for generating a specific representation of
C programs that I need for model checking the program. The "tree"
representation seems to fit my purposes best, however, I don't
know how I can access this representation without changing too
much in the GCC code. The function rest_of_compilation in toplev.c
seems to be called every time a C function is completely parsed.
Accessing the tree structure at this point seems to work fine,
however, can I just rewrite the rest_of_compilation function
and exit without calling the further steps of the compiler without
breaking something? Is there a more elegant way? (like, changing
a macro somewhere).

thanks,
Georg

--
Georg Weissenbacher
phone: +43 316 323197 mobile: +43 699 11219916