Re: Installation proposal

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 10:44:52PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > 3. We would test that our installations are really location-independent,
> >    which they supposedly are.
>
> Not really.  At least not cross toolchains that use a shared glibc as
> the C library, because glibc's libc.so is a linker script that
> references full pathnames into the install tree.  Yet another problem
> about which we must make a conscious decision.

Which works perfectly well if you remove the full paths and let the
linker search this.

I and others at MontaVista have done a significant amount of work
making HHL into a completely relocatable cross development environment.
The only big patch left to the tools is to the linker to give
prefix-relative search directories (and GCC-style relocating based on
argv[0]).

We're in the middle of fighting a losing war with libtool.  Right now,
we edit installed .la libraries to remove the full path information
from them.  I might add that, on GNU/Linux, this is entirely adequate;
it would be much simpler if we could get libtool not to generate such
things.  Ditto for DT_RPATH.