Re: Get rid of libtool? [was Re: Makefile problems]

On 25 Feb 2002, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > - real incremental linking (*not* convenience libraries, which are a lousy
> > substitute).
>
> Which of the definitions of incremental linking are you talking about?

ld -r

> > For instance, libgcj assumes public data symbols are exported by
> > default, which certainly isn't true on windows at least.
>
> Are you talking of -export-dynamic or something entirely different?

I'm talking about the dllimport/dllexport mess.  Actually the dllexport is
solved, I think... it's the dllimport that can't be automated by libtool.

Point is, there are characteristics of shared lib implementations that
cannot be abstracted away... so is it worth trying?

The latter is a problem for libgcj on windows.  C/C++ would use
__attribute__((dllimport)) to import data members.  Java has no such
mechanism however.

Jeff