Re: GCC 3.0.3 on Solaris 2.5.1

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Martin Kahlert wrote:
> I have my private installation on that machine because i am not root on it
> and so i always have the $prefix/bin dir (including binutils) at the
> very beginning of my PATH.

Note that gcc ignores PATH when searching for as/ld/etc.  It's safest to
use --with-as/--with-ld when configuring.  (Probably gcc needs to be more
careful than blindly trusting --with-gnu-as and --with-gnu-ld.)

> I currently work with gcc-3.1 snapshots on a Solaris 2.7 box using
> Sun's tools and everything seems to be smooth so far.

You can keep using Sun's tools as long as they are supported.  But there
may be some good reasons not to.  One is that g++ tends to link smaller
exectuables with GNU binutils.  Another is debugging: DWARF2 is now the
preferred debugging format for gdb (do Sun's btools handle DWARF2? I never
tried).

Jeff