Re: Status of Bugzilla?

Daniel Berlin wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
> > Daniel Berlin wrote:

> > > Bugzilla querying is *so much* faster than gnats it's not funny.
> >
> > I know that Bugzilla is based on a real database and thus has
> > an advantage but couldn't the speed of gnats be improved?
> Probably.
>

> > And is this speed differential the same with the newer gnats 4.x?
>
> I don't have a database with gnats 4.x to compare to.
> However, the changelog only contains the words fast or speed twice total,
> and nothing in the news file except that you can do more powerful queries
> (IE nothing about them being faster).
>
>  >
> > Abandoning gnats for any other system seems like effort which
> > could be put into optimizing gnats.  gcc is not the only project
> > using gnats.
> Sorry, it's not just speed.
> And there are a lot more installations of bugzilla these days
> than gnats.

OK.  But Bugzilla uses the Mozilla Public License which is
not compatible with the GPL.  So ignoring technical issues,
the proposal replaces a GPL program with a non-GPL program.
Is that in and of itself enough reason for the project not
to use it?  I don't know.  In matters like this, I defer
to RMS and the FSF.

> > I must be getting old.. I remember when people fixed free software
> > rather than abandoning it. :)
>
> We've been through this before.
> >
> > > I don't see the big deal in using a text mode browser if you don't feel
> > > like firing up netscape.
> >
> > But gnats also has an email interface which breaks all requirements
> > of real interactivity.
> Which wasn't being used either in this case.

So be it but is it is a capability in gnats.

> --Dan

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985