Re: Status of Bugzilla?

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 02:48:34AM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > There are enough complications about the present system that a full
> > working demonstration of the Bugzilla system would help see exactly what
> > happens when.
>
> What exactly do you want to see?  Daniel has set up
> such a system which he mentioned here:

> and he mentioned adding e-mail input capability here:

(a) What would be the actual contents of the mailing lists using Bugzilla.
Mailing lists are (from observation, reading hundreds of MB of messages on
the lists since the start of EGCS) a central part of the working of GCC
development, so I think seeing the overall shape of the list contents
under Bugzilla is important, which means including the lists in the
demonstration.

(b) The GCC-specific docs - what will replace gnats.html - describing what
the Bugzilla fields mean in a GCC context and the process bug reports in
Bugzilla will go through.  This I do (as docs co-maintainer) claim to be a
blocker: just as with changes to code affecting user-visible behaviour,
moving to Bugzilla requires the documentation to be ready, and I claim
that the documentation must be there to evaluate the system properly.
(Just as when someone submits a proposed new feature in the form of a
patch without docs and testcases, I say that such a patch isn't worth
reviewing without the docs needed to say what it's meant to do, and
sending docs without code would have been better.  Working systems and
code can be interesting to play with, but docs are needed to review things
properly.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk