Re: Sparc bogosity

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:48:04PM +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Geoff Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org> writes:
>
> | ... no-one notices, because few people have sparcv9 hardware,
>
> I have access to couples of multiprocessors sparcv9 machines, but due to
> non-bootstrappability of the tree, I gave up.  It is a circular issue.

Likewise.  I guess the big kicker for me was the presence/absence of GNU
binutils:  without them, stuff doesn't seem to work nearly as well, but
when they are used we're no longer testing the default installation.

   [Cue my standard "I have a dream" speech of a future compiler package
   which simply ships & requires its own assembler, linker, etc, and can
   take full advantage of them all the time.]

I have no problem telling my sparcs to run a nightly tester, but I don't
have the time to investigate the weird failures when it doesn't bootstrap.
(I don't know a thing about SUBREG_doohickey, or whatever was needed for
sparcv9 to work.)

Once rth reports bootstrapability, I can start a nightly tester of some
kind again.

Phil