gprof and xscale-elf-gcc

Hi,
I'm using the xscale-elf-gcc corss compiler. How do I use xscale-elf-gprof
for profiling data? The linker cannot find -lc_p. How do I fix this?
Provided this can be fixed, how do I run the program under this cross-compiler
environment to generate gmon.out?
How does one generally profile when developing for targets such
as the xscale(or any other embedded processor)?

-Arvind