Re: Remaining host configuration fragments

Excerpt of message (sent 17 January 2002) by Stan Shebs:
> DJ Delorie wrote:
> >
> > > would be simpler (no need to worry about nesting of comments).
> >
> > If the idea is to keep users from using the file, why do we need to
> > worry about nesting of comments?  Just throw a chunk of uncommented
> > English text at the top of the file and let it fail.
>
> Greps and such won't report that a reference is in a doomed file,
> and the commenting protects from browsers like S**rc* N*v*g*t*r.

I wonder if this is going further than is really necessary.

A clean solution for questionable targets is to disallow them in
configure, possibly with a --enable-obsolete-targets override as has
been suggested.  One advantage is that this is a localized change.

Given the above, I don't really see the point in causing compile
errors when compiling the target components themselves.  But if you
want that, a very simple way to force errors is just a
     #error "this file is obsolete"
Right?

	paul