Re: xscale-elf-gcc and arm-elf-gcc

> > xscale-elf-gcc code seems to be more compact than arm-elf-gcc. What
> > enables this?
>
> Presumably the use of the extra, XScale instructions.  Do you have a
> specific example in mind ?

No, most of the differences are due to the fact that XScale uses the ARM
architecture 5te (armv5te) instruction set, whereas the arm-elf-gcc
configuration will default to using the armv3 instruction set (as
implemented on the arm6).

You can enable most of the optimizations on the arm-elf-gcc configuration
by adding the command line option -march=armv4 when you compile your
source code.

A final note: most of the so-called XScale instructions that gcc adds with
-mcpu=xscale are nothing more than standard armv5te instructions; I will
be installing a fix sometime to correct this anomaly.

R.