gnu assembler question

Suppose I have a current gcc built that understands -march=pentium4 and
I compile some arbitrary program with that switch such that the compiler
elects to emit some SSE2 instructions.

i386.md defines the instructions in terms of assembler syntax, not
binary opcodes.  My (older) gnu assembler predates SSE2.  How is this
going to work?

I can imagine that it could ("as" is table-driven) but I haven't found
anything in the sources that appears relate x86 assembler syntax with
binary opcodes.

So - how do I upgrade the assembler?

Thanks

--