Re: [RFA] Major debugging breakage

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:26:08PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 05:08:20PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>> Ok.  We've admitted defeat on this one.  Windows 9x wins.  Sigh.
>>
>> So we have to turn off this feature for all Windows platforms since it
>> is possible that a gcc built on Windows NT (where mmap works fine) will
>> be run on Windows 98 (where it doesn't).
>
>Isn't there a way to determine at run time which version of Windows we
>are executing under?

Looking at the code again, I think it would be possible to do something
that would be minimally intrusive if you don't mind an

#ifdef _WIN32
#include <windows.h>
#endif

in that file.

I guess I didn't do it originally because it was basically an admission
of defeat.  :-)

>> Does the below patch make sense?  I qualified the BROKENness of mmap
>> because, as Zack suggested, it seems to work fine elsewhere and so we
>> don't want to slow down gcc's garbage collection.
>
>Assuming that we have to turn it off everywhere, (a) just re-#define
>MMAP_THRESHOLD to zero, and (b) shouldn't it be in xm-cygwin.h and
>xm-mingw32.h both?  This isn't a target property.

You're right.  AFAIK, mingw doesn't have mmap, though, so this isn't
an issue there.

>(Alternatively, put an #ifdef _WIN32 block in cppfiles.c.  It already
>has plenty of #ifdeffage, more won't hurt much.)

That would simplify things.

I will work up an alternate runtime patch in the next couple of days,
if the above is ok with you.

-chris