Re: build status for cross builds?

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Paul Koning wrote:
> A lot of these were recent, as I tried many variations to attempt
> --target=mips-netbsd --with-newlib on a Linux host.  I posted a cry
> for help on that some weeks ago, and while Zack did his best to help
> out, I'm still stuck on that one, and I have heard nothing else.  Is
> there anyone here who has successfully executed such a crossbuild?  If
> so, I'd *love* to hear the magic words...

When the newlib "<target>-unknown-elf" do what you want, just
build as per the simtest-howto.html instructions; they're not
just for simulators.  (But you won't need dejagnu or gdb.)
Though I don't know the magic recipe to get NetBSD headers in
place where needed, or related caveats like with libraries.

If all you have are tarballs for newlib, binutils and gcc from
various differing time-periods, then that's a different game;
you need to install binutils first, then build gcc+newlib
together.

If there are some precise build-failure descriptions (commands
and transcripts), they can probably address be addressed
usefully, so we know where the canned answer referring to
--with-headers=... --with-libs=...  --with-as=... --with-ld=...
fails.  From the top of my head I guess there should be some
--with-ar=... --with-ranlib=... too when the configs don't have
a common --prefix.

brgds, H-P