Re: Update on bugzilla stuff

On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> I removed the platform and os fields, fixed some other bugs/missing things
> in conversion i noticed/you guys pointed out, and added the
> host/build/target fields and extraction of them from the prs.
> It also puts the environment field contents into a comment.
> I had this done a week ago, but was out of town, and it's all on a new
> machine (installed today), so i didn't get a chance to put it up till now.

Suspended PRs are still mapping to RESOLVED/LATER - as Neil noted, this is
wrong, the status of such PRs should be something that does not indicate
them to be resolved, such as NEW/LATER, and which is found in the default
search parameters.

The search form still looks a mess in Lynx, with multiple fields (Product,
Component, Version) having their values in a single vertical list with all
the headings above that list.

The versions listed should distinguish 2.96 from 2.96 (redhat), and
probably 3.0-pre from 3.0.

Some bug reports (e.g. 545) still get links such as "mailto:neil"; without
an @gcc.gnu.org.  Also, that bug report has Reporter listed as
gnats@gcc.gnu.org, which is wrong.

> Attachments are compressed in the database (using Compress::Zlib, of
> course), since most of the time they are huge preprocessed text files.
> This trims the attachment database from 210 meg to 63.
> This also prevents creating MySQL full-text search indexes (unless i
> hacked mysql to handle searches on compressed text, which i'm not going
> to), but i figured this was likely not going to be useful for attachments
> anyway.

When we get attachments on new bugs going out by mail with the bug reports
to gcc-bugs and gcc-prs (as well as new attachments on old bugs also going
out by mail), small ones should probably be sent out as MIME text/plain
attachments to the messages (if indeed plain text), larger ones compressed
in mail.  That attachments aren't normally compressed is one of the
problems with the current GNATS system.

> There is one bug report that was too large to insert into the
> database without fiddling mysql parameters,  which is 5154.
> This happens because the file is not a real attachment, so it wants to
> insert it as a comment. The query times out inserting 21 meg of
> text.  This is not a server or client bug, it just takes that long to
> un-sql quote it,parse it, etc.
> Right now I handle this bug report manually (the perl script doing
> the conversion specifically skips it), since 8 bazillion pages of comment
> text would be useless anyway.

Making the comment text into an attachment manually in the conversion
script for this PR is probably the appropriate solution.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk