Re: Perl is required?

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Stephen L Moshier wrote:

> The computer is not mine to break, it is part of a large workstation
> farm.  I was able, however, to get the distribution of the exact same
> perl version, perl5.004_04, and build it in my private login
> directory.  I installed it locally, along with the 219 megabytes of
> other bleeding edge versions of things that are required to construct
> gcc-3.  The exact same bootstrap error occured with this locally
> installed perl5.004_04.

What then did the configure test for sufficiently recent Pod::Man yield?
If it succeeded, investigate why; Perl distributions before 5.6.1 do not
include the required version of Pod::Man so the configure test should fail
there, but older Perl should be fine if more recent podlators have been
manually installed.  Also, does your installed version of pod2man work at
all (for example, for translating Perl's manpages)?  In a working Perl
installation, pod2man shouldn't be looking for Pod::Man unless Pod::Man
can be found, but the errors you gave showed pod2man looking for a
Pod::Man it couldn't find.  What installation of Perl did the pod2man in
your error message (/p/0/smoshier/solarisbin/bin/pod2man) come from?
Where did that installation of Perl put its libraries
(/loc/lang/perl5.004_04/lib appears to be where it was looking)?  Why did
that installation of Perl install a copy of pod2man that can't find its
libraries?

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk