Re: Assembly in Gcc

Mark,

Mark Cuss wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am new to doing inline asembly in gcc and have a few questions - hopefully
> someone can help me out.
>
> I read the section of the manual on the doing inline assembly.  It is quite
> different than the old Borland compiler I used to use on DOS - I could just
> put an "asm " and enclose all of my Intel syntax assmebly instructions
> inside there.  Is there any way to do this in gcc?  I found the intel_syntax
> directive and passed that in, but it seems that I still need to put %' s in
> front of register names, etc.

You might like to try ".intel_syntax noprefix" that avoids the needs to the %
on register names.

> The project I am working on involves integrating a large chunk (~ 40 pages)
> of Intel assembly instructions into a program which I must compile with gcc.
> So, my goal is to be able to do something like this:
>
>     asm {
>                 mov dx, 378
>                 mov al, FF
>                 out dx, al
>         } ;
>
>  ... Without reformatting the code.  Is this possible?

Not as things currently stand you have to convert the asm { ... } form into
GCC's own asm construct.

Now it just so happens that I'm working on adding support of MS style inline
assembler in to GCC for the x86. It's in an advanced state and almost ready
to be submitted.

> Thanks in advance
>

> Mark

Graham