Re: front end changes for altivec

On Nov 29, 2001, Daniel Berlin <dan@cgsoftware.com> wrote:

>> How about requiring that variables of type vector always be arrays
>> with their actual number of elements explicitly specified, or inferred
>> from the initializer?

> We should be able to infer it.
> After, all, all our vector modes are fixed size, and all the vector
> extensions we are talking of supporting have fixed size registers.

Nope, I'm talking about letting the program tell the array size it
wants, but letting the compiler decide the vector size to use,
regardless of the array size.  Then, you get the compiler to use
vector operations where available, but the code will work without
changes on machines without vector support, or with vectors of
different length.