Re: PROPOSAL: Objective-C++

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> [...] what are the chances of
> getting the ObjC runtime donated to the FSF?  It would be nice to merge
> the two runtimes.

Speaking as the likely worker were the runtime to be donated, I
can say "the FSF is not very enthusiastic". :-)  Apple's sources
are available as part of Darwin should anybody wish to look for
themselves, but basically our ObjC runtime is rife with assembly
code and NeXT/Mach-isms.  Also, I don't think anybody actually
knows whether GNU libobjc is better or worse than objc4 - if
for instance libobjc turned out to offer better performance, I
think you might see Apple suddenly abandon objc4...

So yeah, I agree that the two runtimes ought to be merged, but I
don't yet know the best approach to take.

Stan