Re: powerpc & unaligned block moves with fp registers

dewar@gnat.com writes:

> Yes, it very much depends on the architecture, but your generalization is
> not accurate (and far too pessimistic) for many cases. I don't have the
> figures for latest chips in the Pentium and Athlon series, but I would
> be very surprised if the penalty is as much as a few dozen cycles (on
> earlier chips it was about one clock).

According to some (older) Intel documentation, a misaligned access
costs three cycles on the Pentium, and six to twelve cycles if it
crosses a cache line boundary on the Pentium Pro/II.  On the Pentium
IV, misalined access "can incur stalls that are on the order of the
depth of the pipeline".

SSE/SSE2 instructions might even fault if the 128bit stores are not
properly aligned.