Re: MMIX port, acceptance status?

[ gcc-patches -> gcc ]

On Sat, 3 Nov 2001, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>> Contacting the SC is not usually the best choice if you're trying to
>> get your patch approved [...]
> You might be referring to the MMIX port or not.  I was under the
> distinct impression that adding a port is an SC issue, since the
> SC was involved in deciding about the CRIS port (see
> <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-10/msg00705.html>) and
> apparently Gerald thought so too.

Indeed, I had understood (and still understand from what I have been
seeing on in the SC list, just last week for example) that new ports,
new frontends, and new non write-after-approval maintainers are usually
approved by the SC.

> It seems logical, because maintainership is supposedly an SC issue
> (right?).

As far as I understand, yes.

(In the case of MMIX, the idea of the port itself received only positive
feedback, and you are a well-known contributor with an excellent track
record, so this would have been a no-op anyway. ;-) )

Gerald