Re: final install problems

> It says "checking for a BSD compatible install" but all it does is
> have a blacklist of known-bad implementations.  That should be
> changed.  I can write up a better test.

OK.  Known-good is more robust than known-bad; on Solaris, look for
/usr/ucb/install for the BSD install.  Avoid assuming that, even on
a known-good system, the first install found on the user's path is
the UCB install; it's too common a name and may just be some random
script.  However, you could test to see if the user has installed
GNU fileutils; execute "install --version" and see if the output
is "GNU fileutils n.nnn".

So, suggested algorithm:
1) if a known-good system, see if install exists in the standard
   place (/usr/ucb/install for Solaris and AIX, /usr/bin/install for
   BSD or GNU/Linux), if so assume it's OK.  The full path should be
   used, to avoid using the wrong install.
2) if there's an install on the path, test if it's GNU install.

IRIX64 (don't know about other IRIX flavors) has /sbin/install which
claims compatibility with BSD and GNU install.

I don't know what systems other than Solaris, AIX, SunOS, the BSDs, IRIX, and
GNU/Linux, if any, can be assumed to have a BSD-compatible install.
HPUX-11 has /usr/sbin/install that seems to have nothing to do with
the BSD install.