Re: GCC 3.0.2 and BSD Make

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:
> The only genuine problem I know of with requiring GNU make is the
> potential that it needs an ANSI C compiler to build with, producing a
> chicken-and-egg problem on pre-standard systems.  However, this is
> only a theoretical problem - on a brief skim of the code it certainly
> *appears* to be K+R-safe.

It would be very, very bad for those of us using BSD systems. We have
to rebuild make a lot, and we cannot use GNU make for a wide variety
of reasons.

I would never suggest that BSD make features be used in the gcc
makefiles even though they're demonstrably nicer (have a look at
how our makefiles look some time -- they're gorgeous and easy to read,
compared with the nightmare I often see in normal makefiles).

I think it isn't reasonable to depend on anything but POSIX features
so people on a very wide variety of platforms can use the
system. Think Suns. Think HP/UX. Think Irix. Think Tru64. The world is
not Linux.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com