Re: final install problems

> Joe> Then why does configure decide to use it?  I recall many pieces of GNU
> Joe> software had a configure that found an "install" program on my Solaris
> Joe> system, tested it, didn't like it, and used a shell script included
> Joe> with the distribution instead.
>
> 	If you look at configure, it specifically avoids "install" on
> particular systems even when it finds it.  It does not test if "install"
> actually works, it simply is hardwired to avoid some systems.

I may have been hallucinating, but I could have sworn that I recalled
messages implying that a test was being performed.

Perhaps the sense of the test should be reversed: a known-good list
instead of a known-bad list.  But even on a known-good system, there
might be a different "install" on the user's path hiding the real
"install".