Re: [Ada] RTS build fixed, test results

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 09:30:37PM +0200, guerby@acm.org wrote:

No comment on anything else, but...

> Next time I'll try with --enable-checking, help mentions:
>
>  Categories are: misc,tree,rtl,gc,gcac; default is misc,tree,gc
>
> Is enabling everything reasonable or should I leave the default?

"misc,tree,rtl,gc" finds a small but nontrivial number of additional
bugs beyond the default, at a cost of 2x-3x the build time (last time
I tried it, anyway).

Turning on gcac will cause your build time to increase by orders of
magnitude, and only finds one category of bug, which is pretty rare
these days: failure to declare all roots for garbage collection.
However, it may make sense to try this at least once for the Ada front
end, which is pretty new to this garbage collection thing if I
understand correctly.  (In order to avoid waiting for days, you should
hack up ggc-page.c so that GC_ALWAYS_COLLECT is on when compiling Ada
and off otherwise.)

zw