Re: Best way to remove cpp0

> Right; but that is precisely Joseph's suggestion, no?

No, he proposed to have a cc1 that writes the .i file while it is
simultanously - maybe with X tokens delay - compiling the preprocessing
tokens to assembler (or at least syntax check it with -fsyntax-only).

> > I can't follow you here.  Why is it posible to make a cc1-cum-cpp binary
> > with more efficient preprocessed output more easily than a single-purpose
> > cpp binary?
>
> Because it is in cppmain.c, which uses the library's external
> interface.  If moved into the library, things that are currently done
> with function calls etc. could be done by derefencing pfile, for
> example.

Well, you could move the functionality into cpplib and have a separate cpp0
executable which just invokes that functionality.