Re: RFC: should we use -Werror? (& sample patch to do it)

On 05-Sep-2001, Kaveh R. Ghazi <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Separately, perhaps we want something like __extension__ applied to
> regular warnings too.  E.g. how about a __nowarn__ keyword that
> temporarily does "inhibit_warnings = 1" for the statement in question?

Yes, please.  I've been wanting that for years.

The counter-argument is that inhibiting all warnings for a whole statement
or a whole expression is dangerous, because it might inhibit warnings that
indicate real problems.  However, what I end up doing to work-around the
absence of __nowarn__ is inhibiting certain categories of warnings for my
whole application, simply because one header file contains an occurrence
of code which triggers such a warning and for which the warning can't
easily be supressed.