RE: C++ Static Variable Initialization

 > Thanks for your response. I do not have a main() program. I am creating a
 > shared library using g++. This shared library gets called from an
existing
 > commercial application hence I do not have control over it.

Hi,

i have the same problem.

i am using Linux 2.4.4-4 with JDK 1.3.1 and egcs 2.95.3

I want to call one method in a native, shared C++ library from
Java, using JNI. So i have no main() program.

The C++ .so lib depends on other .so libs
which have many C++ classes which are
usually initialized automatically on startup before the
main() method (if i invoke
the old C++ application executable).

Now it seems, that the java System.load() which
loads the C++ shared library
does not call something like _main_()

I believe all my global C++ classes are
uninitialized - as i get this error:

--------------------------
   An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
   Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x405927d9
   Function
name=__as__t12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1ZcZt24__default_alloc_template2b1i0RCt12basic_string3ZcZt18string_char_traits1ZcZt24__default_alloc_template2b1i0
Library=/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
---------------------------

Is there any lowlevel main() in the Linux clib
which i can invoke manually?

thanks for any hint,

Marcel

As I understand the process, g++ emits magic during main() call to
initialize "static const" variables to their defined value. I have seen that
if the variables do not get initialized proeprly specifically if they are of
string type. I have found out that the reason for this is absence of main()
in my program, where these variables are supposed to be initialized.

After reading some reference books, I have found out that there may be a
compiler dependent procedure that I can call to initialize these variable.
Specifically since I am using g++ compiler, what function call can I make to
intialize all my static const string variables properly.

--
Marcel Ruff
mailto:ruff@swand.lake.de