GCC 3.1 and branches (was: RFA: Deprecate C++ options)

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> Yes -- but it's too early to do so yet.  It's too early to even be
> sure we can get the new parser done before October 15th, which is the
> cut off for major new features in GCC 3.1.

Given the increasingly higher number of branches, I'm starting to get
worried about this deadline.

First, I'm not sure all developers are aware of it. (Well, after your
and my message they problably are. <g>)

And second, I'm afraid that around that date, we will see lots of merges
with destabilizing effects.

Not in the sense that GCC doesn't build any longer or has additional
testsuite failures (this should be prevented by the merge guidelines), but
in the form of compile-time regressions, code-quality regressions, and
problems on more uncommon platforms, all of which will be very hard to
track down after a multitude of huge merges.

Gerald