Driver rewrite... (was Re: RFC: should we use -Werror?)

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 06:40:18PM +0100, Neil Booth wrote:
> Zack Weinberg wrote:-
>
> > Anyone have a good suggestion for what to do about that, I would
> > *love* to hear it.  (Short of Neil's driver rewrite, which isn't
> > happening fast enough to help.)
>
> It's not happening at all until there is more consensus that it's what
> we want to do.  I was a bit disappointed in the feedback to be honest.

I think you're being too negative about the feedback.  Yes, there was
a lot of static thrown out about losing the ability to tweak specs at
install time.  I think that if you show up with a compelling proof-of
-concept implementation that does 80% of what people want, faster and
neater, they'll be willing to work out better ways of doing the other
20%.

Personally I had assumed you had gone off to write some code and would
come back when you had something ready to be tested.

zw