Re: basic-block and profile-based optimizing (was Re: New attribute"infrequent"?)

> Making gcc monotone subset of features provided by vendor compilers won't
> let us survive.

Nor did I mean to imply that.

My point here is primarily about optimizations, not features; generally,
we are still trying to catch up to the state of the art in terms of
optimizations, while we do very well in terms of features.  For
optimization, unless we are convinced that we really know better, I think
we should generally defer to the current best known techniques.

Happily, that's what we're doing mostly -- the new register allocator
and new scheduler are both examples of looking at the best practice
and trying to implement something similar.