Empty loops

Searching the mailing lists for "empty loops", it seems like it's been
some time since the issue was discussed. The manual says that this will be
fixed in a later version of gcc. Is this still the current consensus?

I for one would like to see the loops removed. I've run up against this
problem a couple of times in conjunction with C++ templating. Performing
-funroll-loops has solved the problem most of the time, but there really
should be a better solution.

--Anthony Hodsdon