Oak Grove, KY 42262
(270) 640-4859
jflnjnsn@yahoo.com

Thursday, August 23, 2001

GCC Team, Free Software Foundation
gcc@gcc.gnu.org

Subj: Unable to configure GCC 3.0 on Win2k Pro

I am attempting to set up a C++ IDE on Windows 2000
Professional Service Pack 2 with the V IDE and V, both
from www.objectcentral.com running with GCC.  I have
downloaded GCC 3.0, as gcc-3.0.tar.gz, 17,921,956
bytes, and extracted its contents into G:\GCCstage.
This consists of 14 folders and around 35 independent
files, all totaling 78,699,247 bytes.  The object
directory for the installation is G:\GCC.

I am now doing the Configuration step described in
INSTALL\configure.htm.  The critical procedural step
reads as follows:

"Second, when configuring a native system, either cc
or gcc must be in your path or you must set CC in your
environment before running configure. Otherwise the
configuration scripts may fail.
To configure GCC:
   % mkdir objdir
   % cd objdir
   % srcdir/configure [target] [options]
"

In order to carry out the path prescription, I don't
know what "cc" refers to, but I went to
Start/Settings/Control
Panel/System/Advanced/Environment Variables/System
Variables and edited the Path variable from:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM
to:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM;G:\GCC

Then I ran the folllowing from the command line
accessed by %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe.

G:\>
cd GCC
G:\GCC>G:\GCCstage\configure
and I got only:
'G:\GCC\GCCstage\configure' is not recognized as an
internal or external command, operable program or
batch file.

If I do:
G:\GCC>G:\GCCstage\configure.in
The "Open with..." window appears.